Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ice

Isn't it interesting how something can be so harmful and troublesome and yet...so beautiful? When the sun hits the ice just right, you can almost see a rainbow shimmering inside the frozen H2O.

But I hate it because it stops me from going places. It annoys me because then I have to scrape it off of the car and I have to add more layers to my winter attire.

Another side to ice is that it provides another medium for experimentation. I love how, almost immediately, guys start sliding on the ice, trying out tricks and spins (more often than not while driving! lol). They see the adventure in it.

Three different views on ice. Three opinions. And the only difference between them is perspective. Where is your "starting point"? When people look at the world, they see everything with their own eyes. I know that sounds very obvious (like, duh, Caitlin), but it's not. Because if we try to see things from someone else's point of view, we find that our world looks completely different.

Kutless has a great song about this, called "Perspectives." They point out that our problems, our issues with life, could be changed by just a mere switch of perspective. For example, when we get stuck in rush hour traffic on the way to some important event, we get upset. Maybe even irate. But think about people in third-world countries; they'd be happy by just getting a good meal, let alone a car or expensive clothes.

For us Christians, we are called to look at the world through God's eyes. To live our lives doing everything that we do for His glory. This also translates into being people who love others enough to try to see the world through their eyes.

Yesterday I was pretty depressed. I was upset, confused, and frustrated by one thing (I won't go into detail right now) that has been troubling me for some time, and yesterday it just really got to me. I immediately pushed everyone away, even God, and just focused on being, well, depressed. I tried to hide it at the same time in which I was indulging it.

Today I've been able to break free from that and praise God for having life. And it's funny because today, I realize that that "thorn in the flesh" isn't as bad as I think it is. Sure, it hurts, but pain is only momentary and it produces hope and perseverance (Romans 5:3-4). I still have life to live. And I don't want to regret wasting one single moment.

Perspective: a way of regarding situations; the proper/accurate point of view or the ability to see it.

Have you ever had a day like that where things are suddenly turned around because of a change in perspective?

[and, this post really is not about ice, I guess :P]

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

Hahah, no- it seems like this post really isn't about ice. ;P

I noticed you weren't quite yourself yesterday....but, I couldn't figure out what was different.

While I was outside today taking photos, I was just struck by the beauty of ice! It glitters and glistens as it surrounds everything.

It surrounds, but doesn't penetrate it's environment. Hmm, kind of like sin should be for us, eh?

The world and sin constantly surrounds us, but it shouldn't penetrate us. Sin often looks like a beautiful, glittering distraction but it's really quite dangerous.

(I just thought of this whole analogy now...I'm quite proud of myself....hehehe)

Caity said...

ha, noo it's not x) lol

I like that analogy. Esp. because, like black ice, we often don't notice how bad the sin has gotten until it makes us slip and fall. We have to be AWARE that it's there. Your analogy is very true and *enlightening*! That's what I love about writing: when I write, things randomly come to me, and stuff starts making sense:)