Sunday, January 30, 2011

Seeking

I just picked up my Bible and read Proverbs 18 (that's where my bookmark was; I'm in the process of reading through the Bible from cover to cover). The first verse really struck home for me, and I had to pause for a second to think on it. When I continued, the second verse hit me hard as well. I felt the Holy Spirit speaking to me throughout the chapter.

I encourage you to read this chapter of the Bible and just think about it. Read through Proverbs 18 slowly and reflectively, and pray as you do so that God will open it up to you. The Scriptures are alive with God.

After you've done that, then you can scroll down and see what it is that hit me so hard :)


[ahem. did you read the chapter on your own yet? lol}



[i caught you skipping ahead! oh, you're not? well, then, by all means...]



Verse One: this is me. I seek to isolate myself from others from a fear of being known and judged. I love being around people and getting to know them better but I am always shrinking from putting myself on the line and opening up. Constantly, I blame this on my personality, but that is so very wrong of me. Personality is like an opinion: it is biased, it can be changed, and it is strong-willed. Neither are impossible to overcome.

"It doesn't matter what you've heard/impossible is not a word/it's just a reason/for someone not to try..." (What Faith Can Do by Kutless)

Verse Two: I am someone who wants to be heard. For some odd reason, there's this drive within me to be unique and different and lovable and amazing, someone everyone loves and enjoys being around because I'm just that cool. The problem is, I'm not that cool. I'm a horribly vain and and selfish person. I have flaws and dirty little secrets. My desire should be to hear and understand other people - instead of seeking my own glory.

Verses Ten and Eleven: Which of the two towers described do I run to, God or money? Or perhaps I run to a different type of tower altogether: forgetfulness, music, friendships, fun...'Tis food for thought.

There were other verses that spoke to me, and the whole chapter is full of wisdom, but this is just an example. God is there; never forget that.

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." ~ Matthew 7:7-8

Don't stop seeking. Don't stop asking. Don't stop knocking on the door. He is there, waiting for you to come to Him. Sometimes I forget that if we seek we shall find. And what greater joy can be sought after than God's free and irrepressible joy?

3 comments:

Jenn Noelle said...

So...I related to this post a lot. At first I was like, psshhh, I'll just read what she said without looking at the chapter, but then I thought, no. I'm gonna get out my Bible and read it. So I did. (:

After reading just verses 1&2, I literally said out loud to myself, "Whoa." I definitely saw myself in that one. And I feel the same way lots of times--I want to be accepted and loved by other people (esp the "cool" group) instead of worrying how I'm glorifying God. And dang: "a fool...delights in airing his own opinion." Wow, got me on that one. I love to do just that, instead of shutting up and listening [to other people and God] every once in awhile.

That being said, I love you Caitlin. I know I haven't known you for long, but I can't wait to get to know you better. We've already found some things to relate to, and you really seem to have a desire to seek God's heart and will. (:

Laura McKelvey said...

Thanks so much for this post, Caitlin! This was a good challenge to me too - verse one had me thinking - "An unfriendly man pursues selfish ends" - that just made me think about how selfish I can be sometimes.

And also the "tower" thing - I do so often run to places other than God for comfort, and it's just so stupid, you know? Those other momentary things won't do us a lick of good, but they're where we run when we have an awesome, loving Father waiting with open arms. We're truly sheep who go astray.

And definitely the verse about, basically, pride before the fall - that also spoke to me. I am definitely proud a lot of the time and then BAM it comes back to slap me in the face.

So yeah. Thanks very much for posting this, it was definitely a good thing for me to read :) And I admit, I did scroll down 'til "I caught you skipping ahead!" : * ) And then I went and got a Bible, lol!

Thanks again! :) And I LOVE your new blog look; the stars and everything are awesome!

Caity said...

Jenn: Yes, exactly! But so often I don't want to hear about how selfish I am, and how I care more about what people think than what God thinks.

I love you, too! Thanks for reading my blog:) I enjoy yours so much. It's amazing what we have in common, and it gets me all excited because once I get past being shy, I love meeting new people and finding others to seek God with <3

Laura: Aww, thanks, and you're welcome! It's how I've been feeling lately - ignoring God's word for what it truly is: inspired words from the very mouth of God!! I wanted to encourage others to keep seeking Him in the Bible.

lol yess i was wondering if i would catch a few ppl in the act of skipping ahead...btw, i love your blog as well and i keep reading it!