Monday, May 4, 2009

Memories

Oh, how many times have I recalled doing things that I enjoyed, and thought, "Good Times!" with relish - and a small taint of regret that those good times are over...but they shall be replaced by new good times. But I can still relive events and thoughts that are gone, all by turning to my memory; there I can once more vividly experience things from my past. Of course, as time goes by, some memories fade away. And that is why living for today, and letting go of the past, is so important: we only have today! We only have this minute...the rest is either history or unknown future.

God created each of us with a wonderful mind so that we can think about, decide, create, and know many things. But one of the most special things about our minds is our memory. It is amazing all the things that are recorded there! Some of our most embarrassing and hurtful moments (which we'd rather forget...but then again, maybe that all adds to our conscience, and reminds us that we fail, and encourages us to try harder) are documented there, as are important events and actions that make us happy and remind us of our past life. We can remember sounds, sights, colors, actions, faces, places, words said to one another...So much we are able to remember! It is fantastic!

Not only events are noted by our minds, but also important information, like your friend's favorite color, your home phone number and address, what your friends and family look like (okay, so you probably take THAT for granted! LOL. But think about it: what if you had to re-acquaint yourself with all the people that you know? Well, than you really wouldn't know anyone, cause you couldn't remember who they are), what you own, what you do, what you are supposed to do (chores...blech), and just think of all the problems you would have if you couldn't remember the stuff you learn in school! hehe...yeah, well, maybe that wouldn't be so bad...just kidding! I love learning.

Anyway, my point is, God gave us one incredible gift when he endowed us with our memory. So thank Him for that today! Show your appreciation by REMEMBERING that He made you...or by MEMORIZING some scripture!!

{And as a note to all you out there who know me personally: Thank you so so much for creating memories with me! I enjoy looking back at times spent snowboarding with friends, playing cards and watching movies with my family...and just goofing off with all the crazy, AWESOME people that I know! God has truly blessed me by giving me all of you <3 Thank you! Thank you!}

1 comment:

Maurissa said...

You are so right, the mind is such an incredible thing! Sometimes I wonder if we devoted our lives to studying every possible thing out there if we would ever come to a point when our minds would just fill up with information and we couldn't fit anything else in there... Which I don't think is really possible but just a thought :)

I also think that is a reason we need to protect what enters our mind. Because it is hard to forget stuff and that's why God says to protect it because once it's there it really can't be removed.