Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hero

Why do we always look to imperfect humans as our heroes or heroines? I used to have heroes...all the time!! They would change a lot, but hey, at least I had someone to pattern my life after. Now, that's all changed. I'm "too old" to have a hero - what a load of crap!! No I'm not! Who spreads such lies (lol)? When I had a hero (or heroine), I would look to see what they did in situations. I would dress like him or her, I would try to look and think the way that person (or animal...or group of people...lol) would. You learn as much as you can about that person. Sometimes it would be just a movie character, and not a real person at all. Sometimes it was my current favorite animal (what a hero! lol), or one of my parents. But always, no matter who or what it was, my hero/heroine would become my role model, my friend...I wanted to be that person! Most likely my heroes were good people, awesome characters - like Robin Hood, the "good thief", or Cinderella, the charming young servant, who was obedient and faithful and thus became "promoted" to princess-dome - and so, consequentially, I would become a better (although slightly delusional :P haha) person. That's a good thing, right? Now, of course, there are some pretty bad role models out there...but let's not get into that :).

Now...I don't have heroes/heroines. Now...I don't pretend to be the person that I admire. I've hidden all of that. But that doesn't mean that those mirroring tendencies are gone. No, they're still there, hidden away....what a waste! Think about it: if we applied the hero theory to our most important - the only perfect - role model ever (Jesus Christ), we would be more apt to focus on Him!

Why can't we see that the longing, the hole in our hearts, the need to imitate, can only be filled by God?! God never changes, never sins, never lies, always keeps His promises, is totally perfect, wants to save us, offers eternal life with Him, and CAN DO EVERYTHING. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD!!

So today, you have a choice before you: continue living as you always have, or chang the way you think and make Jesus your hero today. He became human so that he could die for us. He said, "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends." (John 15:13) And that's what He did! You will never become as perfect as Him...but every day it should be our goal! We are commanded to follow Christ! What better way than to make Him our hero?

No comments: