Wednesday, July 21, 2010

This Ocean Before Me

In front of me is a huge ocean. Like any other ocean on the planet (made up or otherwise), this ocean has tides that ebb and flow, and it is very unpredictable. I can't quite figure it out.

I have this desire, a desire that's more than just an urge, to jump into the sparkling depths. It draws me towards itself. Yet I'm so afraid of it's unknown and thus terrifying nature.

Several times I run to the edge. I get my feet wet.

But now I'm ready for the plunge. I'm ready to risk it all, take the dare, face up to the challenge - however you want to put it; I'm just ready. I'm diving in.

As the water closes over my head, I'm rammed full force with my immediate and very natural impulses: I want to rush to the surface. My air is running out, pressure is building in my chest, I can't touch the bottom. All very good excuses.

But somehow I know, without a doubt, without proof, that if I choose to go back to what is normal and safe, I will lose the power of the ocean. This precious, timeless moment will be lost. Only by letting myself drown in this ocean can I ever hope to receive its impact on my life.

The ocean is God. Lost within Him, yet I am lost without Him.

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." _Jim Elliot_

"He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it." _Matthew 10:39_

No comments: