Monday, June 14, 2010

notes from the life of...

Orange dish soap smells like SunnyD o_O

Animal crackers aren't what they used to be. Sad.

The sun is just starting to come out AFTER I'm done mowing. So much for working on my tan. There are indeed more important things in life, though :)

Like God, for instance. Everything feels like it's crashing down on me. It happens nearly every day (think "roller coaster"). But, like one of my favorite Christian bands says:

"It feels like your life's crashing down all around you
Let me ask if it's really so bad?
Look at the world in it's suffering;
Can you honestly tell me that no one else could understand
All of the hurting inside?"
-Perspectives by Kutless

Just when I feel like I want to curl up and hibernate for a few weeks (or maybe years...), God tells me to relax and step back. So I do. And what I see is so completely different from what I thought was in front of me that I catch my breath in a gasp. What scenery! My problem gets shrunk down from a giant monster that is going to swallow me whole to a teeny little ant that I can crush.

It's perspective. It's the switch that can shed light over that hulking shadow to show what it really is: an inanimate object that can't do anything to me. So I yell at it, "You can't bring me down!"

My circumstance doesn't dictate who I am.

I choose how to react to my own life.

But it's God who gives me the eyes to get the perspective I need. It's God's strength that pushes this problem down to size. He holds my hand through it all. He gives me strength to do everything that I never knew I could do.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

With this phrase resounding in my head, I step forward, gripping the truth with one hand and God with the other. I am emboldened to face the day - no matter what it brings.

No comments: