Saturday, June 26, 2010

Death to Myself

We must give up the illusion of control. We can't physically MAKE anything happen; what power do we have? We can do things...if nothing (namely, God) interferes.

I make plans all the time.

And then God throws a wrench (or so it seems) into the works, and it all crumbles around me and I'm disappointed. Again.

But, really, it's my own fault. There's nothing wrong with making plans, though. The problem occurs when I think that my plans are absolutely going to come to fruition, when in reality, I don't know. God already has a plan. And my plans will, more than likely, be very different from His.

So what I have to do is trust.

Take away all the articulate words and intricate emotions, and you have the skeletal truth: I am completely, horribly afraid to trust God with my entire life.

Giving Him pieces of me, little by little, is easy. But when He requires full trust...I shy away. I'm guilty of running from Him. Telling Him I can do this on my own.

Trust. It's feeling like a slow, painful death as I take these steps in blind faith.

And, in a way, it is. It's a death to myself. "For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God." Colossians 3:3

1 comment:

Caleb said...

True joy comes, although it is difficult, when you desire to follow God so much that your plans are Gods plans.