Saturday, September 14, 2013

Whole30

Dieting, exercising, eating healthier, going primal, paleo, Whole30...The world is on a trend of being healthy and running from pre-packaged, processed life. Honestly, part of me looks around and goes, "The world is crazy." Give me my cookie dough, peppermint ice cream, deep fried things, and pumpkin spice lattes!

But the other part of me sometimes has trouble sleeping, feels bloated and hungry all the time, and deals with crappy allergies. And every time I cut down on sugar and dairy, I do feel better.

So I'm heading down the Whole30 road. 30 days without grains, dairy, or sweets of any kind.

KILL ME NOW.

The past week or two I have been trying to do as much as I can by eating good stuff for breakfast and lunch and then letting myself go a bit at dinner. It just takes so much extra effort to plan my day. I have to plan life around my meals because I'm not used to making all of this new food.

There were a few days where I literally felt like I'd done nothing but eat and cook.

My Whole30 begins on Monday. [Cue nervous heart thumps and an immediate desire to charge for the refrigerator and consume as many unhealthy things as possible.]

But this is about discipline. And overcoming. And conquering my nasty allergies. So far, I have:

  • watched my family eat Whoppers
  • watched my family eat pizza
  • ignored bread, peach cobbler, and pumpkin pies that were on the counter
  • sat next to a friend as she ate ice cream from MY freezer and poured MY favorite cereal on top
And somehow I managed to turn away from temptation and stuff my face with almonds instead. Although you can bet I am very good at accusing my family of destroying my resolve by eating whatever they want.

My greatest comfort is knowing that there are so many other bloggers and whatnot that are doing or have done the Whole30 diet. I know I have places to turn to. Sigh.

Anyone else want to jump on the healthy bandwagon? No? Well, technically, I don't either, but...here goes nothing...

1 comment:

Erica said...

Yay! I think we will begin Whole30 next week.