Sunday, August 25, 2013

Going Back

I have this horrible habit of not liking to admit when someone else is right and I am wrong. Even if there is no particular person at hand with the right opinion on the matter, I still don't like admitting that I am wrong.

Logically speaking, this is bollocks.

If I am wrong, and I know that I am wrong, then the quickest way to stop being wrong and start being right would be to a) admit my wrong, b) humbly let go of the wrong ideas, and c) turn around and forsake the wrongness in pursuit of right.

But of course I don't want to do that. I somehow think that I can sort of be seeking after right things while still treading on the wrong path. As if I could continue to walk with one foot here and one foot there and everything would be peachy.

I'd still be thinking that, if C.S. Lewis hadn't come barreling into my world today...

"Progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man...Going back is the quickest way on."
-C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, Chapter 5

Going back is lame.
That's giving up.
That means that this entire time I thought that I was getting somewhere...I wasn't. So I have to retrace my steps. 

I don't like this. 

But it's the truth, isn't it?

 

No comments: