Sunday, April 3, 2011

Simple

Life isn't simple.

But it's not complicated either.

Life isn't all good -- there's always going to be hard things, bad things that happen, things that we wish we could forget happened.

But we know that "all things work together for good to those who love God" (Romans 8:28).

I complicate things in my mind, though. I feel surrounded by doubt - because I'm surrounded by the world. I don't dig deeper into God; I dig deeper into the world. But I want to know who He is. I want to love Him with my whole heart!!

What is it that Paul says? He does the things he does not want to do, and the things he doesn't want to do, he does. Every day is a battle against our flesh. Against what we were born into (sin).

Anyway, this is the struggle I have been dealing with. On one side is God (so simple a thought, just that word: God). On the other...is everything else that I want in this world. Dreams, friends, food, money, everything perishable and yet not inherently evil. It's like a clamorous room filled to the brim.

And across the hallway I see an open door. I don't know what lies behind it, really, because I haven't taken the time to look. There's just a wall of white, like fog. Only the fog doesn't seem to be trying to conceal. It wants to reveal God to me. He wants to reveal Himself to me! But I turn and walk away nearly every time.

So I leave you with this one simple verse: “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
[Matthew 22:36-40]

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Mmmm, yes Caitlin, I know exactly how you feel! So many times, I long for God deeper in my life, and then I spend my time doing things that won't last. I forget what's important so easily.
I loved the verses... great reminder and encouragement! :)